St John's Gate
St Johnís Gate, Clerkenwell. Built of Kentish rag stone in 1504. One of the oldest structures in London and the last remaining ancient gateway into the City.
It was originally part of the priory of St Johnís of Jerusalem, which was sacked in the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530's.
The London gateway which William Wallace was brought through on his way to Smithfield for his execution.
The Saint John Ambulance was founded here in 1877. It is now a museum and is well worth a visit.
The content of this website is the property of knowledgeoflondon.com and must not be reproduced without permission. Every effort is made to ensure the details contained on this site are correct, however we cannot accept responsibility for errors and omissions.
St John's gate as it looks today. Built in 1504 from Kentish Ragstone
About Us | Contact us | Advertising