Canonbury House is named after the canons of St. Bartholomew’s who built a manor house here in the 14th century.
Canonbury House was the mansion of the early manor. It was rebuilt by Prior Bolton in 1520 and what remains of the house are some of the most beautiful and ornate plaster ceilings dating from the 16th century. Sir John Spencer acquired Canonbury House and the surrounding lands in 1570.
The rear view of the gardens of Canonbury House
Canonbury Tower is the most important example of late Tudor architecture in North London.
Canonbury Tower rear view.
On the side of Canonbury Place are six or seven fine Georgian houses that have a fine air of elegance in this quite corner of North London.
The contents of this website is the property of knowledgeoflondon.com and therefore must not be reproduced without permission. Every effort is made to ensure the details contained on this website are correct, however, we cannot accept responsibility for errors and omissions.
About Us | Contact us | Advertising