Newgate Prison Wall
Hidden away behind Amen Corner is this old relic from Newgate Prison, part of the east wall that still survives today.
Behind this door beneath the Viaduct Tavern in Newgate Street, are the only remaining cells of Newgate Prison
Newgate Prison, wherein many of the most notorious convicts of all time were publicly hanged.
It was built in 1188, alongside the Roman London Wall.
Rebuilt after being badly damaged during the Gordon Riots in 1780, George Dance was commissioned to design the new prison at Newgate.
Completed in 1782 Newgate Prison was divided into two sections.
There was a Common area for poor prisoners and a State area for those who could afford more comfortable accommodation.
These sections of the prison were further divided between debtors and felons. The women's section usually contained about 300 women and children.
In the first half of the 19th century, Newgate was London's chief prison where prisoners were held before execution.
In 1783 the gallows were moved from Tyburn to Newgate. Every Monday morning large crowds would assemble outside of Newgate to watch the men and women executed.
A seat at one of the windows overlooking the gallows could cost up to £10. Public executions were abolished in 1868 and until 1901 prisoners were hanged inside Newgate.
The Old Bailey now occupies the old site of Newgate Prison
The contents of this website are the property of knowledgeoflondon.com and therefore must not be reproduced without permission. Every effort is made to ensure the details contained on this website are correct, however, we cannot accept responsibility for errors and omissions.
About Us | Contact us | Advertising