Roman Temple of Mithras
In 1954 during excavation work prior to the builders starting work on Bucklesbury House, a startling discovery was made under the direction of W. F Grimes, then the director of the London Museum. The site uncovered was the Roman Temple of Mithras. Measuring 60 ft long by 26 ft wide, the temple had once stood on the banks of the Walbrook - a stream that still flows under the ground. The Temple was in use from about 90 AD until 350 AD and it is believed to have replaced an even earlier pagan temple. The Romans dedicated it to Mithras, a Sun God of the Persians, whose cult was introduced to Rome from Asia Minor. The God became worshipped throughout the Roman Empire. Mithrasim was in fact a personal religion for men only, but mainly for soldiers, officials, and merchants. The remains of this Temple can be seen above a few steps in the north-west corner of Queen Victoria Street.
All content of this site is the property of knowledgeoflondon.com and must not be reproduced without permission. Every effort is made to ensure the details contained on this site are correct, however we cannot accept responsibility for errors and omissions.
© 2004 - 2013
Contact us | Advertising | London Chatroom | About Us